[Samba] Ubuntu samba slower than red hat??

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Wed Jul 26 02:43:27 GMT 2006

A lot of things have changed since RH9. However, one has to question the
wisdom of running a desktop distro like Ubuntu as a server.

I note that your new server is essentially the same speed as your old
one, but with only one HD. Also, you don't mention how much memory you
have or how many users are connecting to your server.

I know some people on this list are going to not like this suggestion,
but for a server I would recommend you downgrade to Debian Sarge, which
is running Samba 3.0.14a. This is a rock-solid distro that can be set up
as a server. Basically, with it you will only have to restart it if you
have a hardware problem.

To fix your speed problem, set your log level up higher in samba (it's
in smb.conf) to generate some data. You might even find the problem by
yourself. Samba itself is not that slow, so it is likely something about
your local setup.

re. your ideas:
1 & 2 are not good ideas
3. quite likely, but this sounds like something fundamental
4. probably not a good idea

Ubuntu is Debian based and may follow the same security settings. When
you copied your files, you may have copied them disk-to-disk which would
have kept the old user & group numbers. Your new numbers may be quite
different. You may have to look at your files on the disk and correct
the ownerships.

Are your accounts and groups set up correctly.

Is this a domain controller? Does it farm out password checking to
another server? You may want to set up SWAT and use the wizard to set up
the server in its intended role (domain controller, member server or
stand-alone).

Good luck.