[Samba] Samba and initramfs

Michael Cassaniti m.cassaniti at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 04:22:15 GMT 2006

Hi,
This may sound like an odd question, but I was wondering if it would
be feasable to run samba inside a minimal environment, such as that of
initramfs. The idea would be to have a small system that will mount
one partition and share it. The system will do nothing else (no
console support needed).

I know I would require a large number of libraries, and I would need
to verify them all. Next I would need a properly configured
nsswitch.conf file and /etc/passwd /etc/group to match. After this, I
should just need the binaries (smbd, nmbd) to run samba and a correct
directory structure.

Am I missing anything? Is it worthwhile to attempt such a system, or
would I be better stripping down a distribution? Any sugggestions are
welcome. A pointer to a small (under 50mb) distribution that can
perform this, would be appreciated if this is not worth my time.

Please note, this is for creating a security = user type server with
smbpasswd for passdb backend. It is not a client.

Thank you,
Michael Cassaniti