[Samba] Slow Transfer Speeds (I have read the HOWTO)

Richard Collyer richard at firebadger.net
Sat Jul 22 16:49:46 GMT 2006

Richard Collyer wrote:
>>> I've been having a few troubles with samba 3. I can only get 4MB/sec
>>> writing to the FreeBSD server that it
>>> is running on. As its on a 100Mbit network
>>> I was expecting at least 6-7MB/sec.
>>>    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>>
>> Tule of thumb for socket options:  Don't set this unless
>> you can explain why you need them.

Just realized I replied to the person and no the list :( Try again

Anyhoo, I've tried it with socket options commented out, TCP_NODELAY
only and with the SO options in there and I see no difference in the
amount of data that is being sent.

I've put this machine and the server on its own switch to factor out the
router and done some more testing. Read speeds are 6MB/sec and write
only half of that at 3MB/sec. TO be fair the read speeds are ok as are
the dir listing speeds its just the write performance that I am having
problems with.

Does anyone have any more suggestions.

Cheers
Richard