[Samba] RE: Q: winbindd, unqualfied users, & name conflicts (a.k.a "Deathto 'winbind use default domain'!")

Dave Daugherty dave.daugherty at centrify.com
Thu Jul 20 18:38:07 GMT 2006

My opinion:

Local users should always take precedence.

People should specifically refer to local users as
<SambaHostName>\localuser, if that is the form the SMB client insists on
sending.

Tacking on default domains and/or stripping domains to/from user names
and "trying them out" is playing fast and loose with user identity and
is a breeding ground for potential security holes.

Dave Daugherty