[Samba] Security = ADS and 3.0.23 Upgrade

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Thu Jul 20 19:02:07 GMT 2006

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Dale Schroeder wrote:
>
>> I've attached the screenshots, but I think my
>> confusion was expecting the pdc to display the FQDN
>> from its DNS records for the samba system,
>> not the hosts file on the samba system.
>>

> I will almost guarantee that you have host a
> broken /etc/hosts  on you Samba box.  The machine's
> hostname should not be listed in the 127.0.0.1 line.
> This will also break Krb5 authentication.
>
> Fix this on the Unix box and rejoin the domain.
> Should be fine.

You are quite correct that adding the missing parameter to the hosts
file and rejoining the domain would fix this problem.

That leaves only the 'valid users' bug you mentioned.   Of the three
parameters following:

1. 'valid users' had to be disabled
2. 'write list' had to be present
3. 'admin users' had no effect either way

in order for me to access the test share.  I used all three quite
frequently in 3.0.22 and prior, so I surely do hope it is something that
can be remedied.

I greatly appreciate your time and your help.

Dale