[Samba] No mapping between account names and security IDs was done

Ivan Gustin ivan.gustin at pu.t-com.hr
Wed Jul 19 18:44:48 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I get an error message "No mapping between account names and security
IDs was done" on fresh clean Windows XP SP2 PC when I try to join it to
Samba PDC.

I found many post/questions about that problem, but without solution
that works for me. Mainly, those posts was connected with LDAP, but I am
not using LDAP on that server at all. That server works great for years,
have dozen working existing machines and users in domain, but now I just
can't join new machine. No changes were made in Samba configuration in
the meantime nor anything else on server (Samba is the only service, in
addition to ssh). Also, the firewall on client PC is switched off.

Samba is 2.2.7a and I don't want to upgrade it to 3.0.x until I try
everything to get current version working. I have many PDC based on that
Samba version, but never saw such error. I increased log level to 3 and
there is just one suspicion line: "Returning domain sid for domain SZ ->
S-1-5-21-757731472-1478445859-1229492219". I can c/p log entries with
log level 10, if that helps.

I can c/p smb.conf but I think that there is no need for, because it
works unchanged for years. Obviously, issue is connected with Security
Identifiers (SIDs), but I didn't find explanation and solution.

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestion, experience or link with
explanation and/or solution.

Bye,
Ivan Gustin