[Samba] winbind periodically does 44 extraneous lookups, causing 10-15 second lag

Jonathan C. Detert detertj at msoe.edu
Tue Jul 18 18:21:49 GMT 2006

* James Zuelow <James_Zuelow at ci.juneau.ak.us> [060718 11:22]:

> >         winbind enum groups = yes
> >
> > Does anyone know why this is happening, and what I could do
> > to remove or
> > minimize the initial large delay?
>
> I see a similar behavior with the Debian 3.0.14a and 3.0.22 packages.
> My guess is that you won't see this if you don't enumerate groups.
>
> See http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba3-HOWTO/idmapper.html
>
> If I understand winbind correctly, your setup is asking winbind to
> refresh all of the groups, not just ask which groups the user may be a
> member of.

You are correct - after setting 'winbind enum groups = no', I no longer
see the initial large delay.  Thanks!

The other change I notice is that now 'groups username' doesn't show all
groups the user belongs to.  To know that, I must be logged in as
'username', and simple type 'groups'.

Can anyone give a few examples of other programs which depend on getgrent ?
I.e. what are the other ramifications of turning off group enum in winbind?
--
Happy Landings,

Jon Detert
IT Systems Administrator, Milwaukee School of Engineering
1025 N. Broadway, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202, U.S.A.