[Samba] scripting smbpasswd not working..

Brian bcook at poklib.org
Tue Jul 18 10:19:21 GMT 2006

Hello all,

I'm sure I can't be the only person with this question.. but I just didn't
see it answered..

how do you script smbpasswd?

I've tried

echo password | smbpasswd -sa name
smbpasswd -sa name password

echo password | smbpasswd -D5sa name
(this gets me the ability to add a password by hand..)

# echo password | smbpasswd -D5sa name
Netbios name list:-
my_netbios_names[0]="SNAP"
Attempting to register passdb backend smbpasswd
Successfully added passdb backend 'smbpasswd'
Attempting to register passdb backend tdbsam
Successfully added passdb backend 'tdbsam'
Attempting to find an passdb backend to match smbpasswd (smbpasswd)
Found pdb backend smbpasswd
pdb backend smbpasswd has a valid init
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
getsmbfilepwent: end of file reached.
Failed to find entry for user name.
Failed to modify password entry for user name

and name does exist.. (not that it needs to but) /nonexistent exists in
/etc/shells as well.

name:*:1001:1001::::User &:/home/name:/nonexistent

and smb passwd file = /usr/local/private/smbpasswd is default setting for me.

not sure what I need to do.. but the man page for smbpasswd says this can
be done.. this is samba 3.0.23.  Shiny brand new install.

Thanks in advance