[Samba] USRMGR.exe not working properly

Mon Jul 17 20:54:32 GMT 2006

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 10:23:41PM +0200, Holger Wesser wrote:
> "New handling of unmapped users and groups"
>
> what does this mean?

This means that we have cleaned up a big mess that has
caused very difficult to diagnose problems for quite a
number of people.

It comes down to a different handling of interconnecting the
different concepts Windows and Unix have about users and
groups. Under Windows users, groups and lots of other stuff
is represented by security identifiers. These are the
S-1-5-21-x-y-z-512 things you seen in 'net groupmap'. Saying
Windows has 128-bit long user and group IDs is technically
not fully correct, but approximates it quite well. We always
have the problem to a) squeeze the 128-bit space into the 32
bits unix provides us and b) the other way round, invent
128-bit SIDs from the 32-bit unix IDs.

In the various scenarios that we have to live in this turns
out to be quite difficult:

* Samba as a standalone server has to invent SIDs from unix
IDs. This is not too difficult, historically this has been
done with the so-called algorithmic mapping: We invented a
random x-y-z for the machine and created a user sid by
<uid>*2+1000 and a group sid by <gid>*2+1001.

* Samba as a member server has to work with SIDs presented
by others, namely domain controllers. It's not only one
domain, the domain controller we use as "ours" can all of
the sudden trust another domain. For this task winbind
maintains a static table, the winbindd_idmap.tdb with its
remote backends.

* Samba as a domain controller has to provide both tasks:
For the users/groups it is responsible for itself has to
invent SIDs and for the SIDs it imports from trusted domain
controllers it has to invent uids/gids.

These abstract tasks are a there, like it or not. We have to
solve them. Before 3.0.23 it has been a BIG mess that led to
inconsistent mappings in different situations. For example
it was not possible to get reasonable local (nested) group
support in Samba with that code, so some clean up had to be
done. In fact, a big Samba user complaining that nested
groups did not work made me fix all this.

You are facing the only incompatible change that we had to
introduce: You are not seeing the groups your users are in
anymore without mapping them with the net sam mapunixgroup
utility.

One thing you could do for example is:

getent group | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs -n 1 net sam mapunixgroup

This does the explicit mapping for all unix groups you have
in /etc/passwd and/or nss_ldap.

If this still does not help, we need your smb.conf and a
full debug level 10 log of smbd, running usrmgr.exe into the
error.

Volker