[Samba] XP client printing junk to printers installed using print$ share

vinayan K P samba.kp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 08:10:40 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I have installed samba server and pritners.  Instead having to put drivers
to all clients, I decided to use the print$ share, so that, as I read, I can
also make use of printing accounting.

I did all the requird steps to install the pritner on my FC4 system, put all
the required driver files to the print$ share,  added the driver files to
samba (npcclient adddriver) , verified samba can recognise the driver
(rpcclinet enumdrivers) and configured samba which printer should used these
drivers (npcclient setdriver.

Each and every settings are ok and I can print properly from the linux
system. Both text and grphics gets printed Ok and correct number of pages
pritnted are updated to the logfile.

My problem is this : I can see the printer from the XP network neghbourhood
and I can also install the printer by double clicking on the printer.   But
from the XP system it only prints junk.

Any Idea why so and how can I fix this?

Regards

Vinayan