[Samba] Cross-Subnet Browsing Problem

Todd Pytel tppytel at sophrosune.org
Sat Jul 15 00:42:43 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I've had cross-subnet browsing working in Samba in the past, though I
tend to struggle with it each time I set it up. For whatever reason, I
can't seem to get things working this time.

Network Neighborhood. (I have left the machines running for several
hours, in case there's a time-to-sync issue involved.)

Details: The Samba server (ARISTOTLE) is in the 172.16.0.x subnet and my
XP desktop (TIMAEUS) is in 192.168.0.x. There is no NAT or firewall
running in between the subnets. Aristotle acts as a WINS server and is
recognized as such in Timaeus' ipconfig output. Name lookups work fine,
as verified by MS's nblookup tool. Also, I can browse shares on
Aristotle using \\aristotle, so the problem is just that the server
doesn't register for browsing.

I ran a capture using ethereal, and everything in there looks OK. The
desktop boots up and registers its name with WINS on the server. Shortly
thereafter, the desktop looks up the DMB against WINS (which is the
server - it's the only one on the network), and sends it a "Backup List
Request" to which the server sends a "Backup List Response" naming
itself as the backup server. And that's it. Now, from what I can tell
from reading the SMB protocol specs, the desktop is supposed to contact
the named backup server in order to sync up its browse list. But that
doesn't happen - there's nothing else in the packet capture, and no
errors anywhere in the level 3 Samba logs or in the desktop's event
logs. So it seems like everything works except for the very last step.
Any idea what's going on?

What I'm guessing to be the relevant parts of smb.conf follow. If I can
provide any more info, let me know.

Thanks,
Todd

smb.conf:

workgroup = SOPHROSUNE
server string = File/Print Server
security = user

guest account = guest
(this account exists on the server)
local master = yes
os level = 99
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes

domain logons = yes
(last time I set this up, this seemed to be needed for cross-subnet
browsing, but I don't really know. Something about IPC$ connections?)

wins support = yes

[homes]
     comment = Home Directories
     browseable = no
     writable = yes
     valid users = %S
     hosts allow = 192.168.0.
     hosts deny = 127.0.0.1

[netlogon]
     comment = Network Logon Service
     path = /usr/local/lib/samba/netlogon
     guest ok = yes
     writable = no
     share modes = no
(Like domain logons, prior experiments seemed to show that this was
needed, but I don't really know.)