[Samba] Respawn of smbd

d.arun321 d.arun321 at indiatimes.com
Fri Jul 14 18:43:27 GMT 2006

Hi,

We are using Samba (Tried with both 3.0.22 and 3.0.23) in a Linux
Server and two XP machines are connected to the same.

Some stuff (like Printer Cancel) is not working from one XP (say
PC1) and it is working from the other machine (say PC2).

>From the analysis, it is found that smbd child process for PC1 is
getting exited often and another process for the same PC is getting
created. It is working fine in PC2

Following is the code flow of smbd exit :-

 smbd_process( )  -- This function exits as the failure from receive_message_or_smb()
           |-> receive_message_or_smb()                                                --  Returns False
                |->  receive_smb()                                                                    -- Returns False
                     |-> receive_smb_raw()                                                       -- Returns False
                          |-> read_smb_length_return_keepalive()                  --  Returns  -1
                               |-> read_data()                                                            -- Returns 0
                                    |-> sys_read()                                                        -- Returns 0 (EOF of fd)

Following is the smbd.conf :

    [global]
        interfaces = eth0
        netbios name = abcd
        workgroup = ABCD
        server string = Abcd
        guest account = nobody
        guest ok = yes

        printcap name = cups
        load printers = yes
        printing = CUPS

        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50

        security = share
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY

        local master = no
        preferred master = no
        wins support = no
        wins proxy = no
        dns proxy = no
        disable spoolss = yes

        log level = 5

[printers]
        comment = Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        public = yes
        use client driver = yes
        writable = no
        printable = yes
        browsable = yes

It will be helpful, if you provide some information on this issue,

Thanks,
ArunSign Up for your FREE eWallet at www.wallet365.com