[Samba] Fedora packages or Enterprise packages of Samba on RHEL4?

Alex de Vaal a.vaal at nh-hotels.com
Fri Jul 14 10:15:46 GMT 2006

Don Meyer wrote:

> OK, my advice is to do the following:

> 1) Grab the latest 3.0.23 tarball from one of the Samba mirrors
> 2) expand it into a directory on your RHEL4 systems where you've been
building packages
> 3) cd ./samba-3.0.23/packaging/RHEL/
> 4) exec the command: ". makerpms.sh"
> 5) when the package build is finished: cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/

> You should have a nice set of up-to-date packages for your RHEL4
> system in this directory.   Thanks to Jerry and all the others for
> the attention in the last couple versions to the RHEL packaging...

Thanx for the tip Don! Didn't know there was a RHEL section in the packaging
directory. I played before with the "makerpms.sh" script for RHL9, so I know
the drill... ;)
Good tip for newbies though. ;)

> There are two caveats with this:

> a) The cache directory is moved from /var/cache/samba/ to
> /var/lib/samba/.   This move does not adjust the SELinux labels when
> it creates the new directory, and since it copies files - the files are
created with the incorrect labels inherited from the new
> directory.      I only had to do it once, but IIRC - executing "mv
> /var/cache/samba /var/lib" before installing the new packages worked for
me on a new system.

Ok, the Samba databases are in RHL9 and Fedora already in the
/var/lib/samba/ dir. The Samba database of hte Fedora source package I
compiled and installed on RHEL4 are also in the /var/lib/samba/ dir.

> b) The smbd and nmbd services run fine under the standard RHEL4
> selinux-policy-targeted ruleset.   However, winbindd rules aren't in
> this set, and will fail if SELinux is enabled/enforcing.    If you
> are running winbindd, (which you probably are in ads mode) you can deal
with this problem in a number of ways:
> This will load some additional rules that will allow winbindd to run
> without any (significant) AVC errors.   This should only need to be done
once.

Running winbindd failed indeed in the first instance on RHEL4 because of
SELinux. In SELinux there is however a "winbind_disable_trans" boolean (in
the file: /etc/selinux/targeted/booleans), which is default 0. If you change
this to 1 and reboot the server, winbind will run smoothly on RHEL4.

Regards,
Alex.