[Samba] unix password sync not working

Damien Hull dhull at digitaloverload.net
Thu Jul 13 22:23:14 GMT 2006

Ethy H. Brito (by way of Ethy H. Brito <ethy.brito at inexo.com.br>) wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:18:13 -0500
> Adam Williams <awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us> wrote:
>

>> ls -l /tmp/teset results in what?  mayve you should comment that out and uncomment the /ur/bin/passwd %u line.
>>

> Mr. Willians
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> As I said earlier, 'passwd program' is not called!
>
> But answering to your question:
>
> root at testbed:~# ls -l /tmp/teste
> -rwx------  1 root root 48 2006-07-12 15:42 /tmp/teste*
>
> There is no trace of execution (or tentative to execute) the passwd program on
> the logs (/var/log/samba/log.%m in my setup).
>
> And yes, I did it with '/usr/bin/passwd %u' too. No success, no traces.
>
> Maybe the developers have some light the shed on this. (anyone?,please?)
>
> Still waiting for directions...
>
> Regards
>
> Ethy

I'm seeing the same thing. I configured samba to update the Unix/Linux
account but it isn't working. I don't have a lot of users at the moment
so changing Linux and samba passwords isn't a big issue. However, I
would like to know why this isn't working.

I can't offer any logs etc... I haven't had time to dig into the problem.

Oh, here's what I'm using

   1. Ubuntu Dapper
   2. Samba from apt-get
   3. workgroup ( no domain )
   4. Using SWAT and Webmin to configure samba
   5. It works! ( users connect and access files )