[Samba] Re: mapping well known groups problem (net groupmap)

Jamrock news_jamrock at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 12:09:45 GMT 2006

"Piotr Legiecki" <piotrlg at sci.pam.szczecin.pl> wrote in message
news:44B5F3C8.7070009 at sci.pam.szczecin.pl...
> Hi
>
> I have samba 3.0.14a (debian/stable) and wonder where the problem is
> that running this command:
>
> # net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain Admins" unixgroup=ntadmins rid=512
> type=d
> gives:
> adding entry for group Domain Admins failed!
>
> but (note changed rid)
>
> # net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain Admins" unixgroup=ntadmins rid=1000
> type=d
> works fine.
>
> Hm, winbind is not working, but I suppose it is not needed here.
>
> So what is the problem with mapping?

You have the option of using the Windows NT tool User Manager for Domains to
manage your users and groups.  You will need to set up your add user and add
group scripts in the smb.conf file.

You can find the tool here  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/173673/

Put User Manager for Domains on a Samba share and run it from a workstation.

I have never used the mapping command.