[Samba] continuous access to printer causes high memory usage

Roel van Meer rolek at alt001.com
Thu Jul 13 10:25:28 GMT 2006

Martin Zielinski writes:

> although this should not occur on W2k client machines, please take a
> look at the "Windows XP SP2 slow printing solution"  thread.
>
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-November/096146.html
> and http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-November/096492.html
>
> The symptoms are the same as you described.
Indeed. This is exactly what happens. Unfortunately, the XP machine has a
spooler dll that is newer that the one Microsoft claims to solve it. I guess
Jerry grokked rightly: some old bugs never die.

> 2nd make shure, that you are not using some older (!) Kyo KX drivers.
No, it's an HP Laserjet 3050 PCL 5.

Thanks for pointing out the real cause: a bug in Microsofts spooler. When it
bites us again I'll see if I can try more things at the client side to fix
it. I'll let you know if I find anything useful.

Regards,

roel