[Samba] direct descent into home directory

Sean P. Elble elbles at sessys.com
Wed Jul 12 15:13:52 GMT 2006

I just want to make sure I understand you correctly before making any
other recommendations. It sounds as though your users are able to login,
and have a drive mapped to some directory on your server that CONTAINS all
your users' home directories. Is that correct? If it is, how do you have
your home directories setup compared to what is listed for each user in
/etc/passwd (or corresponding LDAP entry)? Samba *SHOULD* be mapping each
home directory accessed to each user's home directory as listed in
/etc/passwd when a user maps the drive using net use h: /home (or any
other drive letter, of course).

The other possible scenario I can see is that Windows Explorer isn't
opening on startup to a user's home directory, but that sounds like the
less-likely scenario.