[Samba] I want to use CNAMES for my SAMBA server, how?

Don Meyer dlmeyer at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 11 04:49:21 GMT 2006

At 07:49 PM 7/10/2006, Daniel Huntley wrote:
>netbios aliases =  in your smb.conf
>
>Then setup the cname in DNS and point it to the correct A record.

Establishing netbios aliases involves a whole lot of coordination --
only one system can be configured to be using the netbios alias at a
time.   Besides, we're trying to avoid the netbios name issues
altogether by stipulating FQDN-based UNC resource references.

The key in our system is to be able to move a role/service around by
moving an IP address between servers.  The servers would be
configured with multiple IP addresses -- their fixed/static, base
address and the role address that can be activated on a machine as needed.

This method continues to work well under Samba 3.0.9/3.0.10 on our
W2K AD implementation.    However, our workup with Samba 3.0.22+ and
a W2K3 AD, with the samba servers being more integrated results in
auth failures when we try to employ this methodology.

Given the similarity of our paradigm to the CNAME-based paradigm that
Roy Mann asks about, I think Jerry's suggested solution for Roy migh
apply to my situation as well.   However, I need to find out the
constraints and limitations of this "fix"...

Don Meyer                                           <dlmeyer at uiuc.edu>
Network Manager, ACES Academic Computing Facility
Technical System Manager, ACES TeleNet System
UIUC College of ACES, Information Technology and Communication Services

temporary safety,
         deserve neither liberty or safety."     -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759