[Samba] Win2k/Samba3 issue

Eric Evans eje4 at cornell.edu
Mon Jul 10 20:49:54 GMT 2006

Hello,

I said earlier that out big Samba problem appeared to be completely
resolved after I finally made sure to get a clean install of Samba 3 and
ensured that the daemons were being started up properly.  However, that was
before I checked on our win2K clients!  We have an odd little problem here,
in that all of our WinXP clients can connect to any of our Samba shares
without any problem, but none of our win2K clients can connect to any of
our Samba shares.  The win2K machines give the "can't find a network path"
message when I try to map a network drive to a Samba share, but no error
messages show up in the log file.  Is there anything special that one has
to do in order to get a win2K client to work with Samba 3?

Another thing that concerns me is that in the log file I keep getting
messages like this every once in a while:

[2006/07/10 16:15:53, 2]
nmbd/nmbd_nameregister.c:wins_registration_timeout(184)
   wins_registration_timeout: WINS server 127.0.0.1 timed out registering
IP 128.253.175.155
[2006/07/10 16:15:53, 2]
nmbd/nmbd_nameregister.c:wins_registration_timeout(184)
   wins_registration_timeout: WINS server 127.0.0.1 timed out registering
IP 128.253.175.155
[2006/07/10 16:15:53, 2]
nmbd/nmbd_nameregister.c:wins_registration_timeout(184)
   wins_registration_timeout: WINS server 127.0.0.1 timed out registering
IP 128.253.175.155
[2006/07/10 16:15:53, 2]
nmbd/nmbd_nameregister.c:wins_registration_timeout(184)
   wins_registration_timeout: WINS server 127.0.0.1 timed out registering
IP 128.253.175.155
[2006/07/10 16:15:53, 2]
nmbd/nmbd_nameregister.c:wins_registration_timeout(184)
   wins_registration_timeout: WINS server 127.0.0.1 timed out registering
IP 128.253.175.155

I don't know why we should be getting messages relating to WINS serving
because our Samba server is not set to operate as a WINS server, and none
of our clients are configured to connect to a WINS server.  So where is
this WINS server stuff coming from?

If anyone has any thoughts on these two issues I'd really appreciate
hearing them (my smb.conf is listed below).

Thanks very much,
Eric

[global]
         socket address = 128.253.175.155
         socket options = TCP_NODELAY
         invalid users = bin daemon adm sync shutdown halt mail news uucp
         max log size = 100
         print command = /bin/lp -d%p %s; sleep 5; rm -f %s
         printer = 128_1
         printing = SYSV

         log file = /var/log/samba.log
         log level = 2