[Samba] sometimes, roaming profile is not found

sylvain.david at etranges-libellules.fr sylvain.david at etranges-libellules.fr
Mon Jul 10 13:48:14 GMT 2006

Hi,

I use samba 3.0.22 on Debian Sarge as PDC for windows XP SP1 and SP2.
Sometimes, users get the message "Windows cannot found the roaming
profile on server so user will get a default profile". (sorry, it's not
the official message,  I had to translate, because I get the message in
french) This error comes only if user log in quickly after the boot. If
they wait a little (15/30 seconds) they didn't get the message.
When they get this error, I tell them just to close their session, and
re open it. And it works fin, they didn't get any error message.

At first I think it was an ACLs problem, but .... it works if user wait
a few seconds before login.
So I think this problem deals with something about a netbios refresh or
windows is not fully ready when it display the login screen. Is there a
workaround for this problem, like delaying the login screen with a nice
registry key, or perhaps it cames from my samba configuration ?

Thank you.

Here's my smb.conf :

#
# Global parameters
#
[global]
        dos charset = 850
        unix charset = ISO8859-1
        workgroup = elb-lyon
        netbios name = server02
        server string = server02.elb-lyon
        os level = 65
        domain logons = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        local master = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        wins support = Yes

        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        passdb backend = tdbsam, guest
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n
*ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
        passwd chat debug = Yes
        pam password change = Yes
        unix password sync = Yes

        syslog = 0
        log level = 2
        # log level max = 10
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 25600
        dns proxy = No
        invalid users = root2

        # paramètres samba utilisateur par defaut
        logon drive = P:
        logon home = \\server02\%U
        logon path = \\server02\profiles\%U
        logon script = %U.cmd

        # gestion des comptes posix automatique
        # Gestion des comptes POSIX
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g sambamachines -c
Machine -d /dev/null -s /bin/false '%u'
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g sambausers -c Utilisateur
-d /dev/null -s /bin/false '%u'
        add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd '%g'
        add user to group script = /usr/bin/gpasswd -a '%u' '%g'
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r '%u'
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel '%g'
        delete user from group script = /usr/bin/gpasswd -d '%u' '%g'
        set primary group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -g '%g' '%u'

        veto files = /lost+found/ .recycle/ aquota.user/ aquota.group/

        guest account = guest

        hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.

#
# Necessaire Domaine