[Samba] Samba 3 startup

Sean P. Elble elbles at sessys.com
Mon Jul 10 13:16:04 GMT 2006

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, Eric Evans wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to see if I can get some clarification on what is the preferred
> method of starting the Samba daemons (note that we are using Solaris, not
> Linux).  This is something that I'm not able to find any explanation of in
> any of the Samba 3 documentation that I've looked at so far.  In Samba 2 I
> would have the Samba daemons started up by the following in my
> /etc/inetd.conf:
>
> netbios-ssn    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd
> smbd
> netbios-ns     dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd
> nmbd
>
> but I don't know if this same inetd.conf setup is appropriate for Samba 3.
> And what about windd?

The preferred method for starting/running Samba would be in daemon mode
(as opposed to starting it up from inetd, as there is a bit of overhead
involved in running in that mode). IIRC, you are compiling from source,
and in the Samba source tree, there is a directory packaging/Solaris.
There is an init file in there that is designed to be used with Solaris,
obviously, and that is the preferred method of starting Samba, as far as I
understand it. It will start smbd and nmbd, as well as winbindd, but you
should not need to run winbindd for your purposes (I am also assuming when
you refer to windd, you mean winbindd). Hope that helps.

> Thanks a lot,
> Eric

|  Sean Elble                                     |
|  Virginia Tech                                  |
|  Computer Engineering, Class of 2008            |
|  Vice President, VTLUUG                         |
|  E-Mail:   elbles at sessys.com                    |