[Samba] Samba installation discrepancies

Edmundo Valle Neto edmundo.valle at terra.com.br
Sat Jul 8 19:06:29 GMT 2006

Eric Evans escreveu:
> Samba colleagues,
>
> I promise to limit my postings to this list to one message per day
> from now on, and to keep my messages focussed on very specific
> technical issues.  I think I have gotten over my initial panic at the
> weirdly broken Samba installation and am now in a troubleshooting mode.
>
> The drama of all my Samba 3 difficulties now seems to be due to a
> faulty Samba installation.  Symptoms are:
> bin/nmbd -V and bin/smbd -V both return version 2.2.7a, even though I
> did a complete installation of version 3.0.22 and the installation
> (including the 'make install') ran completely through to its
> completion with no error messages.  Also, nmbd is currently running
> but smbd is not running.  And when I try to run smbclient I get the
> messages
>
> read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Connection reset
> by peer.
> session request to PLEIADES failed (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
> read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Connection reset
> by peer.
> session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Read error: Connection reset by
> peer)
>
> My environment is Solaris 8.  Has anyone else had any difficulty
> getting Samba 3 to install properly on Solaris 8?
>
> Thanks very much,
> Eric

I have never used Solaris 8, and I dont know how the previous version
was installed or where its installed by befault nor how Solaries handle
packages, but discovering that can be a good start.

Have you uninstalled Samba 2 first? Because of this type of problems I
dropped Slackware and begun using Debian (with a trustworthy packaging
system).

But lets say that it was installed from sources and you dont have the
source of Samba2 to look where it was configured to be installed or to
try to uninstall it.

Look at the environment variables what is included in your PATH variable
(to see the order that directories are looked at). Use the "which"
command to see where the default smbd and nmbd are installed (as you
said probably it will find the version 2). Try using find or locate to
see how many files exists with that names (to see if it was installed in
another location). Look at the date of the old samba files and try to
find files with same date (that probably was installed toghether).

Summarizing, try to move the old Samba2 files to another location (out
of the way), by hand or using the packaging system used before trying to
use Samba3 (a better choice if possible).

Maybe if you give more information on how the two versions was installed
someone that knows Solaris can give a better solution.

Regards.

Edmundo Valle Neto