[Samba] Updating to Samba 3

EHines eehines at comcast.net
Sat Jul 8 01:05:36 GMT 2006

John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Friday 07 July 2006 19:27, Craig White wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 16:54 -0700, Huck wrote:
>>
>>> This link may be of some assistance to those updating from Samba 2.
>>>
>>> http://www.phptr.com/articles/article.asp?p=419048&rl=1
>>>
>> ----
>> Since the official Samba documentation is authoritative and actually
>> covers this subject, pointing to another 3rd party for reference is
>> likely to cause confusion...especially when a confused administrator
>> hasn't consumed the official documentation to begin with.
>>
>> Craig
>>

> Well, actually, the PHPTR link points to an older copy of the official
> documentation.
>
> Best advice for newbies is to point them at:
> 	http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf
>
> The PDF is easier to read for many, but the HTML link is preferred by others.
> 	http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.html
>
> Craig,
> You've been fielding a lot of activity for a while now - you know the ropes.
> Advanced users should consult the HOWTO, and a newbie would easily get lost in
> the wild woods there. Despite that, most newbies apparently want to master
> brain surgery before they ever attempt the basics.
>
> Cheers,
> John T.

But, but, if we master the brain surgery right off the bat, doesn't this
have the basics subsumed in it, and wouldn't this, then, be a more
efficient use of everyone's time?  The journey of a thousand steps would
be immeasurably shortened if we could only skip all that middle part and
go right to the last step....  :^)

Eric Hines

--
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
	--Sun-Tzu