[Samba] Newbie questions?

Michael Westmoreland michael.westmoreland at mobot.org
Thu Jul 6 19:43:15 GMT 2006

I have the book, "The Official Samba-3 Howto and Reference Guide" and
I'm trying to get 3.0.22 running on Aix 5.2.  All I want to do is setup
some file sharing at the moment and map a drive from an XP pc to a
directory on Aix.  We have a Windows domain setup, the domain name is
mobot.org.  The Aix server is named mobot.  I've been searching through
the archives for "NT_Status_Bad_Network_Name" and
"NT_Status_Logon_Failure".  And, I see examples of smb.conf files that
look quite a bit different from what's in the book.  Would some one
point me to a good example of an smb.conf file for an Aix box in a
Windows domain?

And, how do you handle user names longer than eight characters?  For
example, on the Aix box my user name is westmore, in the Windows domain
it's mwestmoreland.

Right now I can't map a drive from my XP pc to a share on the Aix box.
\\mobot\tmp <file:///\\mobot\tmp>  returns "The network path cannot be
found."  I've tried connecting using a different user name "westmore"
from my XP pc, but get the same message.  I've added my Aix account name
"westmore" to the Samba password file.

 I added this line to my /etc/ services file "swat 901/tcp" and these
lines to my /etc/inetd.conf file and rebooted the server.

netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /opt/Samba/3.0.22/sbin/smbd smbd

netbios-ns dgram upd wait root /opt/Samba/3.0.22/sbin/nmbd nmbd

swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /opt/Samba/3.0.22/sbin/swat swat

The SWAT utility tells me the smbd and nmbd daemons are running.  But,
when I use ps -ef | grep smbd, I don't see a process ID. This makes me
wonder if the daemons are really running.  I'd expect to see a process
id returned from the grep command.

Is there a particular section of the book I should be reading like 2.3.2
Domain Member Server?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

Mike Westmoreland

Missouri Botanical Garden

4344 Shaw Ave.

St. Louis, Mo. 63110