[Samba] Problems with domain logons

Eric Evans eje4 at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 6 17:28:18 GMT 2006

>As I mentioned in my last email and as explained below, the use of login
>scripts in the netlogon share only work when the samba server is acting as
>a PDC and your clients are part of this domain. Windows clients then
>automatically look for the existence of the netlogon share and run the
>script mentioned in the smb.conf. The users home directory will be
>automatically mapped using the drive letter completed in the smb.conf.
>Other drives can then be added using net use or you can use kixtart which
>is a great scripting program which allows you to be more creative with
>your scripting. Stick with net use if its just basic mapping your after.

Thanks very much.  We've never used domain logins before but I looked up in
the "Using Samba" book about how to set up the Samba server as a domain
controller.  Here's the contents of my [global] section of my smb.conf:

[global]
         workgroup = Plab
         domain logons = yes

         socket options = TCP_NODELAY
         invalid users = root bin daemon adm sync shutdown halt mail news uucp
         max log size = 100
         security = user
         encrypt passwords = yes
         os level = 34
         local master = yes
         preferred master = yes
         domain master = yes

         print command = /bin/lp -d%p %s; sleep 5; rm -f %s
         printer = 128_1
         printing = SYSV

         log file = /var/log/samba.log
         log level = 0
         max log size = 50
         debug timestamp = yes
         logon script = startup.bat

Now I have two stupid questions:

1. When I go into one of my Windows 2000 clients and try to set it up to be
a member of the Plab domain, I get an error message saying that it's not
able to contact the Plab domain.  But I thought I had the Samba server set
up properly to be a PDC.  I don't see any error messages in the Samba log
file.  Is there any way I can test the Samba server to see if it's actually
operating as a PDC?

2. We also have Windows XP clients but I'm not able to find how to set them
up to be in the Plab domain.  Anybody know how to configure XP clients for
domain logons?

Thanks very much,
Eric