[Samba] query about PC setups

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Thu Jul 6 15:55:10 GMT 2006

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Eric Evans wrote:
> Thanks for the info.  I've been trying to get this to work but I'm having
> difficulty with it.
>
> I put the statement "logon script = startup.bat" in my [global] section.  I
> also inserted
>
> [netlogon]
> path=/usr/local/samba/lib
> browseable = no
> share modes = no
>
> into the smb.conf.  And I made a startup.bat which I placed in
> /usr/local/samba/lib, and which contains only the command "net use h:
> /homes".  But when I log in to the PC, unfortunately it doesn't connect me to
> the homes share automatically like I thought it should.  I checked the samba
> logs and I don't see any error messages there.  Anybody have ideas about what
> I might be doing wrong?

startup.bat is a batch file that is going to be executed by
the Windows machine when you logon to Windows.  The Windows
machine doesn't understand a command like "net use h: /homes"
because "/homes" is a path that has meaning only on the Unix
machine and doesn't mean anything to Windows.

You're going to want something like "net use h: \\sambaserver\homes"
instead.

Also, it should be automatically connecting you to your home
directory by virtue of having "logon path" and "logon drive"
specified in smb.conf, so you don't need to add a "net use"
command for your home directory.  It's only needed for other
shares.

   - Logan