[Samba] Print Cost Capture

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Wed Jul 5 15:44:48 GMT 2006

> Thanks, but that really won't help.  We need to be able to link each
> printing job to a specific billing code, and user.  Each user needs to
> be able to work on multiple billing codes.

You could always roll your own through a web interface.  That is, have
users print to a file, and then upload that through a web interface
which requires them to fill in all the fields you need for accounting,
for instance: username, billing code, project, target printer, number of
copies, paper size, paper source, etc..  It wouldn't be terribly
difficult to write but would be a minor PITA for the end users.
Especially because you'd have to do something to keep the end users
from ever printing directly to the printers and so bypass the
accounting system.

If you trust the end users (typically a really bad idea) you could also
just have them punch the accounting numbers into the web interface and
still print directly to the printers.  Or put a sign up sheet on the
printers (and pity the poor soul who has to decipher the resulting
scribbles.)

Regards,

David Mathog