[Samba] Print Cost Capture

simo idra at samba.org
Wed Jul 5 15:04:03 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 10:42 -0400, David Sonenberg wrote:
> My company would like to start capturing printing costs.  Is there a way
> to configure the printing interface to prompt users for a billing code?

The best thing is to assign a username/password that identify a user and
then use a system like pykota[1]+cups to bill per user.

Prompting a user requires some binary running on the client plus some
way to communicate to this binary from the server when it receives a
print request (another method is an authorization system through a web
interface that you must go through before any print). This makes up a
complex system to maintain and cumbersome to use.

Simo.

[1]: http://www.pykota.com/

--
Simo Sorce