[Samba] smbd & nmbd segfaulting

John Paul JDPAUL at GoColumbiaMO.com
Wed Jul 5 14:48:47 GMT 2006

Greetings,

I have recently installed SuSE 10 on a Dell PowerEdge 1800. Everything is up
to date. I downloaded Samba 3.0.22, ran configure (with no options), make,
and make install. I created a very skeleton smb.conf to test out the smbd
and nmbd daemons. If I run the daemons, I cannot connect to them. If I run
smbd --help, I get the following output:

Usage: usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd [OPTION...]
  -D, --daemon=ARG                 Become a daemon (default)
  -i, --interactive=ARG            Run interactive (not a daemon)
  -F, --foreground=ARG             Run daemon in foreground (for daemontools
&
                                   etc)
  -S, --log-stdout=ARG             Log to stdout
  -b, --build-options              Print build options
  -p, --port=ARG                   Listen on the specified ports
Segmentation fault

The same thing happens for nmbd, it segfaults. If I run pdbedit --help, the
output is for more concerning:
Usage: [OPTION...]
  -L, --list                       list all users
  -v, --verbose                    be verbose
  -w, --smbpasswd-style            give output in smbpasswd style
  -u, --user=USER                  use username
  -N, --account-desc=ARG           set account description
  -f, --fullname=ARG               set full name
  -h, --homedir=ARG                set home directory
  -D, --drive=ARG                  set home drive
  -S, --script=ARG                 set logon script
  -p, --profile=ARG                set profile path
  -I, --domain=ARG                 set a users' domain
  -U, --user SID=ARG               set user SID or RID
  -G, --group SID=ARG              set group SID or RID
  -a, --create                     create user
  -r, --modify                     modify user
  -m, --machine                    account is a machine account
  -x, --delete                     delete user
  -b, --backend=ARG                use different passdb backend as default
                                   backend
  -i, --import=ARG                 import user accounts from this backend
  -e, --export=ARG                 export user accounts to this backend
  -g, --group                      use -i and -e for groups
  -y, --policies                   use -i and -e to move account policies
                                   between backends
  --policies-reset                 restore default policies
  -P, --account-policy=ARG         value of an account policy (like maximum
                                   password age)
  -C, --value=ARG                  set the account policy to this value
  -c, --account-control=ARG        Values of account control
  --force-initialized-passwords    Force initialization of corrupt password
                                   strings in a passdb backend
  -z, --bad-password-count-reset   reset bad password count
  -Z, --logon-hours-reset          reset logon hours
  --pwd-can-change-time=ARG        Set password can change time (unix time
in
                                   seconds since 1970 if time format not
                                   provided)
  --pwd-must-change-time=ARG       Set password must change time (unix time
in
                                   seconds since 1970 if time format not
                                   provided)
  --time-format=ARG                The time format for time parameters
  -t, --password-from-stdin        get password from standard in
ERROR: empty passdb backend list!
invalid pdb_context specified!
invalid pdb_context specified!
invalid pdb_context specified!
invalid pdb_context specified!
invalid pdb_context specified!
invalid pdb_context specified!
invalid pdb_context specified!
invalid pdb_context specified!
invalid pdb_context specified!
invalid pdb_context specified!
invalid pdb_context specified!
invalid pdb_context specified!
ERROR: string overflow by 1 in safe_strcat [-1074138868]
ERROR: string overflow by 11 in safe_strcat [-1073831924]
ERROR: string overflow by 2 in safe_strcat [-2]

(and so forth for several hundred lines)

ERROR: string overflow by 11 in safe_strcat [-1075417076]
*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x40017000 ***
Aborted

What can I check? Is there a known problem on this OS? How can I help the
development team with figure out what's causing this?

All the best,
Danny Paul