[Samba] Suse 10.1 with samba servers 3.0.22 & 3.0.23rc3 only seen by Suse 10.1 samba client as cifs

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Wed Jul 5 09:13:34 GMT 2006

Thomas Garson wrote:

> Questions:
> Has there been some kind of hidden parameter relatively recently added
> to samba 3 that identifies shares as cifs or smbfs? Is the Linux client
> programmed to react to this? Are these protocols becoming mutually
> exclusive? If any of this is true, where is the documentation? Why me?

smbfs has been replaced in the linux kernel by cifs, so smbfs is no longer
being kept up to date. cifs is now a mount option in newer releases.

cifs is "Common Internet File System".  It's based on the SMB protocol.
Hasn't been a secret.  Didn't make the front page of the NY Times though.

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/mount.cifs.8.html

Regards, Doug