[Samba] can't save 0 size file in samba 2.0.7

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Tue Jul 4 23:56:43 GMT 2006

>    First question,if I creat one new NULL txt file in samba share
> folder whose filesystem is FAT,and I open the file in notepad in
> windows,type some
> characters,and save the file,but error says "refuse to access".and if
> the txt file has content,even if one character,there is no the
> problem.

Can you do this via the command line (without Samba)?  It could be a
filesystem issue, and Samba is just passing along the error.

>     Second question,if I have changed the smb.conf,for example,I
> deleted one share folder for user1,but if user1 had opened the
> share,then he can use the share folder yet unless I kill the smbd
> process.

From the manpage:

Reloading the configuration file will not affect connections to any
service that is already established. Either the user will have to
disconnect from the service, or smbd killed and restarted.

> Now I use samba 2.0.7 for my file server

Samba 2.0.7 is pretty old, you should probably consider upgrading, it
might fix a few of these problems.

Cheers,
Adam.