[Samba] Changing the server string server string

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Tue Jul 4 20:32:09 GMT 2006

Andres Tarallo <tarallo at ort.edu.uy>

> Holy Windows !!!!!, I never thought that this value was cached into the
> registry.
>
> I solved it with your advice. Thanks god it's only as small pilot
> installation of 20 clients, things are worst in deployment (more than
> 400  clients)
>
> John H Terpstra wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 July 2006 13:54, Andres Tarallo wrote:
> >
> >> I'm using Samba 3.0.22, My samba server announces as "SAMBA
> >> 3.0.22xxxxxx", so I added in the samba conf a line that says server
> >> string = File Server.
> >>
> >> tesparm reports that everything is Ok, but I when I browae the shares
> >> the old name still appears. Coukd it be hardwired?
> >>

> > No, it is NOT hard-wired - but your MS Windows clients have stored the
> > original value in their registry. If you want to change what the client now
> > thinks it is - go edit those registries!  This is a great way to have fun
> > with Windows. :-) (not!).
> >
> > - John T.

Actually, you could have used a simple utility program like 'jv16' to
accomplish the same feat. I remember seeing something in the MSKB about
how to accomplish this also, but I do not remember exactly how it was
proposed.

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard at seibercom.net

"I was relaxing in my favorite chair on Sunday, reading the newspaper,
watching a football game on TV while listening to another game on the
radio, drinking a beer, eating a high cholesterol snack, and scratching
our dog with my foot and my wife had the nerve to accuse me of just
sitting there doing nothing!"