[Samba] Default behavior of setting SUID bit in directories.

Edmundo Valle Neto edmundo.valle at terra.com.br
Tue Jul 4 02:53:40 GMT 2006

Hello.

    In the Samba by Example book theres a section called "Effect of
Setting File and Directory SUID/SGID Permissions Explained", that shows
an example of the effect of SUID/SGID bits.
    The SGID bit when setted in directories makes the files inherit the
group owner, but I couldn't make the SUID bit on directories work,
making files inherit the owner.
    The documentation says that, as it was a general default behavior,
and recommends that together with force user in several places in the book.
    I'm using Debian Sarge for example, and it doesn't do that, I dont
know even how to enable that behavior.

    Am I missing something? Any Linux/Unix flavor does that (inherit the
owner when a directory has the SUID bit set) by default?

Regards.

Edmundo Valle Neto