[Samba] Samba and DOS databases (Benckmark results)

Robert Mortimer rmortimer at bluechiptechnology.co.uk
Mon Jul 3 11:31:45 GMT 2006

To run our overnight updates the NT4 server took 15min

With the same data and oplocks enabled the SAMBA server takes 9min but in
this configuration users are complaining of initial application load times

SAMBA with oplocks 1 disabled results in a time of 11 min

Disabling oplocks 2 results in a punishing drop in performance to 57min
(this is not going to make friends in userland)

Same data was used throughout. Minor time variations were seen between runs.
As a rule the second run was fractionally faster (presumably due to
cashing).