[Samba] snprintf.c:(.text+0x14): undefined reference to `VA_COPY'

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Sun Jul 2 22:52:02 GMT 2006

> Trying to compile Samba 2.2.8a on Solaris 10.
>
> Changing Samba versions is not an option. Too many
> production systems hanging off that PDC.
>
> Samba 2.2.8a
> SunOS smb244-1 5.10 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V210
> Tried gcc 3.3.2 and 2.95.3.
>
> Everything compiles but when it tries to link I get
> the following error. I searched the archives but
> didn't find any answer for this. How do I fix this?

It looks like there have been some changes to lib/snprintf.c to fix
this - what happens if you add this code near the top of snprintf.c?

#ifndef VA_COPY
#ifdef HAVE_VA_COPY
#define VA_COPY(dest, src) va_copy(dest, src)
#else
#ifdef HAVE___VA_COPY
#define VA_COPY(dest, src) __va_copy(dest, src)
#else
#define VA_COPY(dest, src) (dest) = (src)
#endif
#endif

You might even just want to force that last definition, which doesn't
rely on any external functions.

Cheers,
Adam.