[Samba] Maximum number of LANMAN Work Items and concurrent connections from IIS 6.0 to Samba

S. J. van Harmelen sander.vanharmelen at isp.solcon.nl
Sat Jul 1 18:29:59 GMT 2006

Hey there Jeremy,

Thanks for giving me a hand!! Attached is a trace that was running while
I requested IIS for a site (off course the content of the site resides
on the Samba server).

The error "Failed to start monitoring changes to \\server
\websitedirectory... because the network BIOS command limit has been
reached" is generated because ASP.NET wants to monitor the website
directories for file changes using a FileSystemWatcher.

When just a few sites are running, the error doesn't seem to appear. But
when some more sites are requested the error suddenly appears! So this
really look like some kind of limit. The default limit MS is using is
50, but I already changed this to 5000.

There are around 10 sites using ASP.NET, but ASP.NET sets up a
FileSystemWatcher for every subdirectory of every site... So I don't
know exactly what the current limit is...

I hope you (or someone else) can find anything in the trace. If not, I
can also try to make a debug log with debug level 10.

Regards,

Sander