[Samba]Permission issue

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Sat Jul 1 21:47:59 GMT 2006

TSZ wrote:

> Michael Gasch napisał(a):
>> and you can solve this with the sticky bit
>> http://docsrv.sco.com:507/en/OSAdminG/ssC.stickydirs.html
>>
>> you could also try to play with "map read only (S)" parameter.
> Thank you for your help and link. I know the "sticky bit", but I don't
> know how to implement it for new files created in folder for everyone.
> I've tried with the "sticky bit" for this folder and create mask =
> 4555, but it doesn't work.
>>
>> Jeremy Allison wrote:

>>> Because in UNIX, permission to delete a file is granted by the
>>> permissions on the directory containing it, not on the file
>>> itself.
 From man chmod:
STICKY DIRECTORIES
       When  the sticky bit is set on a directory, files in that
directory may
       be unlinked or renamed only by root or their owner.  Without the
sticky
       bit,  anyone able to write to the directory can delete or rename
files.
       The sticky bit is commonly found on directories, such as /tmp,
that are
       world-writable.

What this means is the sticky bit has to be set on the parent directory,
which in your case is the directory being shared.

Regards, Doug