[Samba] Samba RPM packages for all SuSE Linux products

Noel Kelly nkelly at citrusnetworks.net
Tue Jan 31 13:47:44 GMT 2006

Hello Lars,

Fantastic work - thanks.  My Suse 9.3 x64 now works with your RPMs!

I wonder if your expertise might help with my 'nemesis'.  I have been
compiling Samba-3-14 and Samba-3.21 for the last couple of weeks and
have everything working nicely with the Samba commands but for the life
of me I cannot get nsswitch to be called when I use 'getent passwd' or
'getent passwd username'.

I compile with:

./configure --with-smbmount --enable-cups --with-ads
--with-shared-modules=idmap_rid --with-pam --with-pam_smbpass

I copy libnss_winbind.so to /lib and made a link to libnss_winbind.so.2
followed by 'ldconfig'.

My nsswitch.conf reads 'passwd:     files winbind' and group:     files
winbind'.

I join the domain and all the wbinfo commands (-t -u -g -a) work
perfectly and I watch the workings of winbind running in the foreground
as 'winbind -n -i -d 4'.

I have removed the nscd and libnscd RPMs from the system.

However as soon as I try 'getent passwd' or 'getent passwd nkelly' or
'getent group' I see no response from winbind whatsoever.

Clearly nsswitch is not finding or calling libnss_winbind.so - but I
cannot see why.  An indentical server running  3.0.14a works better - it
responds to 'getent passwd nkelly' correctly but not to 'getent passwd'.

Any ideas would be much appreciated as atlhough it is nice to have your
RPMs, I would like to know where I went wrong.

Many thanks
Noel

--
Noel Kelly