[Samba] undefined reference to `swrap_close'

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jan 31 20:34:51 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 09:32 -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> imacat wrote:
>
> >> No, I think we need to avoid smbmnt getting these defines.
> >> This is a setuid app, and I'm worried by how socket wrapper
> >> (and the environment variable based changes in behaviour)
> >> would interact, in a security sense.
> >
> >     Oh.  Thank you for reminding me this.  This is *really*
> > a serious security issue.  I've recompiled all my samba
> > without socket_wrapper.  Thanks again for pointing out this.
>
> No its not a security issue.  The socket wrapper stuff is for
> development testing only.  There is no production value in it.

I think the correct phrasing is that imacat's proposed fix would create
a serious security issue on machines compiled with the socket wrapper
code, and mistakenly deployed in production.  That is why I said it was
an incorrect fix.

The correct fix (for the build issue) is not to have smbmnt built with
those defines in place, so we link correctly.

Andrew Bartlett