[Samba] what with privileges

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 17:36:17 GMT 2006

On 1/29/06, Playnet <playnet at mail333.com> wrote:
> Hello samba,
>
> I try add machine into domain. If i run smbldap-useradd manually, all
> ok. But from samba i get errors:
>
> Jan 29 22:47:04 sstand net:   smbldap_open: cannot access LDAP when not root..

I think that this indicates that Samba isn't running smbldap-useradd
as root because the account you're using doesn't have permission to
add computers to the domain.  If you don't have privileges enabled
("enable privileges = no"), then I think you need to use the root
account to join the machine.  If you do have privileges enabled
("enable privileges = yes"), then make sure that the account you're
using has the SeMachineAccountPrivilege.  See chapter 14 in the Samba
HOWTO for details on privileges.

Josh Kelley