[Samba] Server shows Linux client IP addresses, not names

Steve Snyder swsnyder at insightbb.com
Tue Jan 31 15:48:26 GMT 2006

The smbstatus utility won't show the names of the Linux machines running in
this workgroup, but it does show the names of the WinXP machines.

It looks like this:

$ smbstatus -b

Samba version 3.0.10-1.4E.2
PID     Username      Group         Machine
23158   steve         users         192.168.0.10 (192.168.0.10)
18040   nancy         users         venus        (192.168.0.3)
 3001   nancy         users         mars         (192.168.0.5)
 2894   steve         users         192.168.0.2  (192.168.0.2)

The browse.dat file correctly shows the names and IP address of all machines
in the workgroup, so obviously the names of the Linux machines are
obtainable.

The server is running Samba v3.0.10 on a CentOS machine.  The Linux clients
are running Samba 3.0.14a on Fedora Core 4 machines

The Linux clients are running a minimal smb.conf, just enough (in theory) to
provide a NetBIOS name for lookup by the server.  This is the entire config
file:

[global]
  workgroup = WORKGROUP
  server string = Software Development
  max log size = 0
  security = user

So what am I missing to get the smbstatus util to reflect the names of my
Linux machines?

Thanks