[Fwd: Re: [Samba] Browse List propagation under Samba]

Bob von Knobloch bob at rwilliams.de
Tue Jan 31 09:26:56 GMT 2006

Adam Nielsen schrieb:
>> It is configured as an NT domain controller and has been working
>> well. I needed to add a routed (over VPN) connection to the system
>> but cannot get the routed clients to access the browse list. The
>> clients are all Windows XP professional. The remote client is not a
>> domain member. All clients work when directly connected to the Samba
>> server (broadcast), whether domain members or not.
>> I run WINS support on Samba which is working. I can see my remote
>> machine registered under WINS and can query the WINS database with
>> nblookup from all clients.
>> DNS is also fine (forward and reverse) from all clients. I can also
>> manually attach to a share from the routed client with a UNC-Path.
>> IP connectivity is fine between all machines in the network, windows
>> connectivity also. It is just the browse list that doesn't work.
>>

> I suspect that either broadcasting isn't working, i.e. pinging
> 10.8.x.255 won't reach the remote clients (or pinging that from the
> remote client won't reach Samba), or the remote machines are
> broadcasting for the browse list instead of contacting the WINS server
> directly.  Have you told the client PCs the IP of the WINS server?
> (via DHCP or in the local machine's network config?)
>
> Cheers,
> Adam.

Thanks for answering Adam,

The remote client is to be reached over a routed VPN tunnel, so
broadcasts won't reach the clients. That is the reason fior the WINS
server. All client are getting their WINS server address correctly via
DHCP (proved by nblookup) and they are not broadcasting (hybrid shows on
the adapters, as it should and I have traced with Ethereal).

What concerns me is the NetBIOS reply (NetServerGetInfo response) to
server queries by the domain controller (is also the WINS server - all
on Samba).

The flags showing server type show (just the revelant flags for clarity):
This is a workstation
This is a server
This is a Domain Controller
This is an NT workstation
This is an NT server
This is NOT a potential browser
This is NOT a master browser
This is NOT a domain master browser

But my config has:
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
domain logons = yes

There is clearly a mismatch between measured responses and the
configuration in smb.conf. Is this a version issue. Would be pleased to
receive any suggestions.
Robert