[Samba] Throughput Constraints

Baron Young baronyoung72 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 18:34:58 GMT 2006

I hope I'm in the right place for this question.  I am in the process of creating a large scale production fileserver architecture for the purpose of serving very large files (~4.5GB) to a small number of clients (~200).  My assumptions to this point have been that my throughput would be constrained by hardware and not software, but I would like some validation of this thinking.  I am hoping to achieve throughput rates of ~200MB/s using whatever hardware needed to achieve this (FC on the disk side, possible infiniband or multiple 1Gb ethernet links for network side).  CPU would be 2-4 3+ Ghz, 8-16GB mem (more if needed).  I've "heard" that my throughput using Samba could be limited to more like 80MB/s but I'm not sure why this would be the case.

  Any experiences using Samba for throughput rates this high would be much appreciated.

  Thanks.