[Samba] help me understand ldapsam:trusted

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Fri Jan 27 20:09:47 GMT 2006

According to smb.conf manual:

"the ldapsam:trusted=yes option assumes that the complete user and group
database that is relevant to Samba is stored in LDAP"

and also:

"ldapsam:trusted=yes can be activated and Samba can completely bypass
the NSS system to query user information".

If I understand it well, enabling this option would make possible to
authenticate Samba users against LDAP on systems without NSS support.

However, this is not the case: no matter if this option is enabled or
not, Samba won't authenticate the user if he's only in LDAP (and the
operating system doesn't see that user in /etc/passwd, and can't verify
in LDAP via NSS).

So do I understand this option wrongly?

I'm using Samba 3.0.21a on a Linux distro that doesn't support NSS.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org