[Samba] "LDAP only" authentication without NSS/PAM - possible?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Fri Jan 27 08:22:30 GMT 2006

Is it possible to configure Samba so that it could authenticate users
from the LDAP server *only* (i.e., operating system doesn't see the
users from LDAP).

I'm working on an embedded Samba domain controller, it is based on Linux
/ busybox / uClibc (and Samba with OpenLDAP).

The system doesn't use glibc, but it's smaller brother uClibc, and it
doesn't have anything like PAM or NSS.

Because of this, Samba can fetch the users from LDAP, but can't verify
that these users exist as system users - and refuses to logon with
NO_SUCH_USER.

Is there a way I can use Samba + LDAP without seeing LDAP users as
system users?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org