[Samba] Can't Get to Shares

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Fri Jan 27 05:17:47 GMT 2006

Folks,

I have two problems that may be related, and I'm hoping that with the
mailing list back on the air, some of you can offer some help on
resolving them/it.  I'm running SUSE 9.3 and Samba 3.0.21a (which is
managing a LAN with an XP laptop and a Win2k PC).  Samba has joined
the domain and is the PDC, winbindd is running, wins support = yes.

The first problem is that, while I can get to some shares (e.g., home
directory, printers, netlogon, profiles), others I cannot get to--I
just get back NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME.  These non-connecting
shares are owned by a user and a group (of course), and the users
trying to connect are members of the owning group.  Googling, and
checking the archives here turn up others with this problem, but no
solutions.  Tests I've run exploring this include:
         smbstatus--returns the connections from the PC (the laptop
is off at the moment; it has the same symptoms) that are active and open
         getent passwd--succeeds
         getent group--succeeds
         wbinfo -t--succeeds
         Samba has successfully joined the domain
However, these tests fail:
BAD_NETWORK_NAME error
         net use \\<server\<share> from the PC returns "network name
cannot be found"--the same as above
         net use \\<server\<misspelled share> from the PC returns
"network name cannot be found."  Clearly not getting to the point of
authentication.
         wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g return error looking up domain users/groups

The second problem (and I suspect the cause of the first) is that I
cannot get my PC to join the domain.  When I try, whether I use my
Linux box root and password, as  is the correct way, or I use the
PC's Admin account to authenticate the joining in response to the
prompts, I just get a "credentials supplied conflict with an existing
set of credentials" error.

How can I fix this?  I suspect I need first to get the PC to join the
domain, but I'm clueless as to how, given this error.  Right click on
My Computer|Properties|Network ID Tab|Network ID or Properties,
either one, returns the conflicting credentials error message.

Thanks for your help.

Eric Hines

There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of
the vast majority by adequate governmental action.
         --Bertrand Russell