[Samba] SAMBA client extremely slow over WAN

Dracula countofdracula at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 17:05:07 GMT 2006

Hello,
When copying files using the RedHat Samba client over  Network we
experience file copy times 5 times slower than we experience with other
SAMBA clients.

As a test file we are using a 45MB file. Using a HPUX samba client to a
windows file server it takes approximately 1 minute to copy this file.

Using a windows SAMBA client also takes about 1 minute to copy the
file.

Using the RHEL 3.0 Samba client it takes well over 5 minutes, and
sometimes up to 7 minutes to copy the same file.

This is a client only issue with samba however as if we run a SAMBA
server on RHEL 3.0 and copy to it with the Windows client it will again
only take about a minute.

We have tried many different rsize,wsize combinations as well have
followed the SAMBA optimization guides by RedHat and O'reily with no
significant improvement on performance.

Thanks

Regards,

Komal