[Samba] SFU UID Mapping

John Halfpenny jhalfpenny at excite.com
Thu Jan 26 11:48:36 GMT 2006

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to set up a central home storage area with Samba for our PC and Mac clients. I thought that the most logical (ie. easy) way to do this would be to have Samba take care of the Windows connectivity and use NFS for the Macs.

But for this to work I need to drag over the UIDs from Services For Unix which I have read is possible on Samba 3.0.20+

Joined Samba to the Win2k3 domain with no problems, the portion of my winbind file is here

   idmap backend = ad
   idmap uid = 10000-60000
   idmap gid = 10000-60000
   winbind enum users = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes
   winbind nss info = template sfu

If I do a 'getent passwd' with the top line in the config, nothing is returned, if I comment that line out then I get my user info but the UIDs are wrong!

Will I have to install Samba from source to get this working? Presently I installed the RPM for Fedora 4 and I'm wondering if a component isn't there. Worried I'll get in a mess if I start putting the source code version on!

Thanks for any help you can give :-)

John