[Samba] how to rename/label network drives

Taolizhong a12zengl at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 20:42:26 GMT 2006

Hello --

  I am running samba 3.0.20b as PDC. The clients are running Windows XP SP2.  I have a question about how to rename/label the network drive on the clients.

  It appears when users login, Windows OS automatically names the mapped drives shown in Windows explorer as sharename & server name & (drive letter), such as public on 'Samba 3.0.21b (pdc.example.com)' (P:).  The user could rename it manually via right click on the drive and choose "rename" option.  I wonder if it is possible for Samba system administrtors to rename/label it such that when users log onto their account, the drive(s) have desired label/name.

  BTW, I tried DOS command "label P:myname". It gave me error message like "Parameters are not compatible".

  Thanks,

  --Ling