[Samba] userPassword in a LDAP database of a Samba3 domain

fabricio bianco abreu fabricio at tc.df.gov.br
Wed Jan 25 16:09:40 GMT 2006

Hi folks,

I have been able to migrate a WinNT4 domain to a Samba3 PDC domain using
openldap as a backend and smbldap-tools to vampire the WinNT4 domain (pretty
much following Samba3 by Example and documentation in smbldap project by IDEALX).

Nevertheless, all 600 users migraged from the WinNT4 domain have attributes like
these on the ldap database:

     userPassword: {crypt}x
     sambaLMPassword: blablabla
     sambaNTPassword: blablabla

Every user that have had their password changed since the migration (using Win9x
control panel or WinXP tools or smbldap-passwd) have attributes like these on
the ldap database:

     userPassword: {MD5}foobar==
     sambaLMPassword: blablabla
     sambaNTPassword: blablabla

Now I am trying to use the same ldap server to support authentication to
unix/linux services.
Users that have userPassword attribute in the MD5 form can be authentication by
unix/linux services. The other users cannot.

My question is: Is there a way to populate userPassword attribute in the MD5
format so that users are not required to have their password changed? I believe
a good opportunity to do so occurs whenever a user logs to the domain.

Thanks a lot. Best regards,

Fabricio

________ Information from NOD32 ________
http://www.nod32.com